Fleas are small insects that can jump onto your pet’s body. They are usually found in humid and hot environments. If you live in a context with these characteristics, it is important that you pay special attention and know the different ways that exist to eliminate fleas from cats.
If you have detected that your cat has fleas, it is convenient that you start eliminating them from the first moment to prevent them from spreading. To fight them, you can do some home remedies or if you prefer, apply some products that will help you end the problem. We show you some of the options that exist.
How to remove fleas from a cat step by step
There are some home remedies that you can do if you detect that your cat has fleas. Some of the most effective are:
- Essential oils: Mix a little lavender or citronella oil with flea shampoo.
- Chamomile: an infusion of chamomile is a good remedy to eliminate fleas in cats. Bring chamomile water to a boil, strain the infusion and soak a cloth in the liquid. After that, apply the cloth to your cat’s skin.
- Lemon: To remove fleas from a cat, combine water and lemon juice in equal parts. Add the liquid to a spray bottle and spray the mixture over your cat.
- Vinegar: Add vinegar to the shampoo in equal parts and bathe your pet to eliminate fleas.
In addition to this, it is important that you carry out a specific treatment in the environment to eliminate fleas. These insects can nest anywhere your cat has been, such as the sofa or carpet. It is best to do a deep cleaning to disinfect. Some of the things you can do are:
- Wash rugs and rugs, at least 60º.
- Vacuum very frequently and remove the bag or empty the tank after each use.
- Use sprays antiparasitics to spray around your home.
How to remove fleas from a baby cat
When fleas affect a baby cat, the situation is more worrying because they are more vulnerable and sensitive than adults. Must have Special care when it comes to treating health problems, because you cannot use the same products as when they are older.
If your cat is affected by these types of insects, there are some home remedies that you can do. If you do not get the desired result, we advise you to visit a veterinarian to proceed with the elimination of these insects. Some of the home remedies to remove fleas from a baby cat are:
Bath with soap and water
The moment of bathroom is delicateespecially when the cat is a baby. Therefore, it is convenient that you consult a veterinarian and that you take into account some things:
- Do not submerge your cat under water. Fill the sink or bowl with a little water and put your pet inside. Moisten her skin, little by little, gently. Avoid getting the head area wet.
- Apply a special shampoo for kittens.
- Uses a specific comb to remove fleas. When you see one, put it in a jar with very hot water and a little shampoo.
- Rinse your kitty, dry it and wrap it in a towel to warm it up.
A remedy to eliminate fleas in baby cats is alcohol. To use it, dip a cotton swab in a little alcohol. When you see a flea, press and rub lightly with the cotton bud on it. After that, take it and put it in a glass with alcohol to eliminate it permanently. Repeat the procedure until your kitten is flea free.
This product is used to remove fleas from a cat, but it is a solution that does not eliminate them completely, but rather forces to jump into another body territory. To apply, mix apple cider vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Then, wet your cat with the liquid and do a gentle brushing. Apply the mixture again after three days.
This remedy is used for the moment of brushed. When you brush your cat with a special flea comb, take a little Vaseline and place it on top of the parasite to immobilize it and make it easier to remove.
Another option you have to remove fleas from a cat is to use specific products. To use some of them, it is advisable to speak with the vet beforehand. We present some of the products you can find:
- Pipettes: they are easy to apply and very effective. They lie on the dorsal line of the cat and act by eliminating fleas.
- Necklaces: they integrate insecticides that repel and eliminate these insects. Its duration of use is approximately 3 months.
- Pills: They are an effective alternative when the above products cause reactions. In addition, their advantage is that they can have an effect on external and internal parasites.
- Shampoos and brushes: shampoos are soaps that help to end the problem of fleas. The brushes have a special design to catch fleas and extract them from the cat’s body.
We leave you with two articles that surely interest you:
Remember that the prevention it is the best way to protect your pet against parasites and the diseases they transmit. Therefore, it is important that you follow the deworming protocol and you know well how and when to do it so that you are always protected. In this way, you will avoid having to remove fleas from your cat.
We leave you with this last article on deworming in cats, so that you have all the necessary information.