The Maine Coon is native to the state of Maine, in the United States. It is also known as the Maine Shag. It would be the result of crossbreeds between Angora cats and English cats Carried by early settlers, Russian cats, Scandinavians, and North American short-haired farm cats.
Is a big robust cat prepared for the harsh climate of this region of the United States. In 1861 the first successful specimen was presented at the Boston and New York shows, although it was not until 1960 that a standard was established. The Maine Coon has evolved a lot in recent years, getting bigger, taller, and wilder.
General appearance of the Maine Coon
The Maine Coon is large, weighing 4 to 10 kg. His body is very muscular, his bones solid. Appearance of power and robustness. Long hair.
- Head medium in size, typically cuneiform. Slightly domed front. High and prominent cheekbones. Square muzzle, broad nose, firm chin.
- Ears large, broad at the base, moderately pointed, set high. The interior is well covered with long, fine, horizontal hairs. The presence of lynx brushes is desirable.
- Eyes large, well separated, slightly oval, slightly oblique. All colors are allowed.
- Neck of medium length, strong, slightly arched.
- Body long, large rectangular, well proportioned bones. Powerful musculature.
- Legs of medium length, strong. Strong bones and muscles. Big, round feet. Very abundant interdigital tufts.
- Tail long, broad at the base, tapering to the tip, with long, floating hairs.
- Fur: cape adapted to all seasons. Dense, silky, short on the head, shoulders and legs, longer on the back and flanks, with abundant breeches. Long hairs on the belly. The presence of a ruff is desirable. The fluff is soft, fine, covered by a smooth, waterproof outer layer. All colors are allowed except chocolate, lilac, cinnamon and fawn (roe deer). Any proportion of white is accepted. The large categories of colors can be classified into: tabby, unicolored, turtle, silver, smoke, particolors.
- Defects: small size. Round head. Straight or convex profile. Nose with break. Snout round, pointed, prominent lips. Ears too flared. Almond-shaped eyes, too oblique. Short, stocky body. Fine, light bones. Short tail. Coat of equal length throughout the body.
- Character and peculiarities: This giant is a sociable cat. Despite being dominant, he is not aggressive. He is affectionate and is very attached to his master. Playful, sporty and great hunter, he needs to have space, for this reason he lives better in a house with a garden than in an apartment. The female’s puberty is late. The kitten’s growth is slow and the adult stage is not reached before 3 or 4 years of age. The maintenance of its coat is simple, it is enough to brush it once a week.
Veterinary Technical Assistant specialized in canine ethology. TANNIMAL has allowed me for years to work on what I am most passionate about: the animal world. I combine my work collaborating as a volunteer in shelters, sanctuaries, reserves and any related event or activity. I have done various seminars and courses related to canine education, birds, primatology and a long etcetera. I enjoy learning every day from these incredible colleagues with whom we are fortunate to live.