If there is one thing that cats find truly attractive and fun, it is plants. It is true that not everyone has the same interest in them and there will be some for whom they go unnoticed. But, maybe your cat is a lover of plants and loves to smell and play those that you have at home or outside. If this is the case, it is important that you know that not all plants are safe for cats and that we must be very careful with the ones we have at home. In the previous article, we detailed you which plants are toxic to cats and what health disorders they can cause. Today we tell you what are non-toxic plants for cats, that is, good plants, so that you can have them at home without worrying that they could harm your feline if he touches or eats them.
List of non-toxic plants for cats
Here you will find a wide variety of cat-friendly plants that are completely safe and do not put your health at risk. most of aromatic plants that are used in the kitchen are safe for cats, but there are also exceptions such as, for example, bay leaf.
- Areca or yellow palm
- Dragon mouth
- Zebra cactus
- Tape or spider
- Hoya carnosa or wax flower
- Baby tears
- Maranta or prayer plant
- Daisy flower
- Ponytail palm tree
- Peperomia obtusifolia
- Succulents or crass
- African violet
Good plants that you can use regularly
There are some types that are not only non-toxic plants for cats but are also sold or recommended especially for them for their attractive smell or by their medicinal properties.
Plants can function as a stimulus, as an extra nutrient or even to manage emotions. Plant lovers will have fun and reduce their stress by playing with them and enjoying their aroma.
- Catnip. Known as catnip or cat grass. Its aroma is very attractive and stimulating for some cats and produces different reactions in them such as rubbing, biting or playing more than usual. It is so powerful that it is commonly found in many cat toys and scratchers. In Tíanimal you can find it in many different formats.
- Germinated grass. It can be grown at home and rye, barley, oat or wheat seeds are often used. Provides nutrients, vitamins, fiber and folic acid and supports digestive health and intestinal transit. You can find complete kits to plant and grow it easily.
- Valerian. It has a powerful calming effect that can help in cases of stress or anxiety.
- Lavender. It has relaxing properties and is also antiviral and antibacterial.
- Mint. Beneficial for the respiratory and digestive system.
- Parsley. Good for the urinary system.
- Rosemary. It is antiseptic and diuretic. It works as a muscle relaxant.
- Thyme. It has relaxing properties and strengthens the immune system.
- Basil. It has analgesic properties.
Why do some cats eat plants?
If you are looking for non-toxic plants for cats, you may have also wondered why felines like them. In addition to the aromatic attraction of herbs and flowers, there are a few theories as to why cats ingest them:
- get nutrients and vitamins present in them
- improve their digestions and intestinal transit
- to make themselves vomit voluntarily because they feel bad
- facilitate the expulsion of hairballs
- to use as antiparasitic treatment
Now that you know what non-toxic plants are for cats, tell us which ones you have at home and which are your feline’s favorites.