By employing flea pills it is important to know the effects they have on pests. We must also consider the cases in which it is necessary to resort to them. In the same way, it is necessary to use them properly, otherwise they could have negative effects on the health of your pet.
The antiparasitic pills for dogs they belong to the internal antiparasitics. Its effect changes according to the type of plague you want to attack and the dose will always depend on the age, breed and type of pet.
It is important to keep in mind that not in all cases internal antiparasitics for dogs they are effective. In addition to this, it is necessary to be careful with pets that suffer from specific medical conditions.
Cases in which flea pills are used
The use of internal antiparasitics for dogs it is conditional on the prescription of a veterinarian. With this clear, you can consider the 4 cases in which it is recommended to use antiparasitic pills:
- When the symptoms are due to an internal parasitic infection. Fleas and ticks are external parasites. However, in some cases they can produce internal contamination in the body. When this is the case, the symptoms that may occur are: vomiting, diarrhea, anemia, drowsiness and fever. In this case, the use of antiparasitic tablets for dogs.
- When you need to get rid of fleas quickly. In cases where dogs have many fleas, they must be removed quickly to prevent infection and disease.
- To complement the effect of external antiparasitics not resistant to water. Usually the external antiparasitics they interrupt their effect when exposed to water. In this case, internal antiparasitics for dogs They complement the protection of the animal from flea contamination.
- To deworm puppies. When dogs are very young, they usually have internal parasites. In addition, in children under 3 months, the use of pipettes or collars is not recommended because their body is not sufficiently developed to tolerate the insecticides present in the external antiparasitics.
How flea pills work
They can act in three different ways:
Stopping the flea reproductive cycle. These are for monthly consumption. When the flea bites the dog, the compound from the ingested pill enters the pest’s body and prevents the larvae from reproducing in the eggs. These types of pills generally do not kill the pest, they only cut their reproductive cycle.
Killing adult fleas and stopping the reproductive cycle. This type of pills is also for monthly consumption, in some cases it can be up to quarterly. The chemical composition of these antiparasitic pills for dogs They kill both adult fleas, larvae and eggs. In general, this tablet does not have an immediate effect, so it is sometimes supplemented with another antiparasitic.
Quickly killing adult fleas. These pills are for daily consumption, their effect produces rapid death in adult fleas. One particularity of this product is that it does not fight flea eggs or larvae. For this reason, they are used more as a curative product than a preventive one.
In certain cases, some experts recommend using these tablets in combination, in order to give greater protection to the animal.
How to give my dog pills
To make your mistake swallow the flea pills we recommend the following:
- Make sure that they do not expel strong and annoying odors for the dog.
- Mix them with their food.
- Leave enough water in the drinker for the dog to hydrate and the effect is faster.
- Avoid taking them by force.
- Do not mix with syrups or other products that are not very palatable to the dog’s palate.
Recommendations when using internal antiparasitics for dogs
The effectiveness and low risk to the pet when using antiparasitic pills for dogs depends on usage. The internal antiparasitics They are delicate products, as they are in contact with vital organs of the animal. For this reason, it is important to take into account some tips when supplying them.
- These products can only be administered under strict medical supervision. Its irresponsible consumption can even end the life of the dog.
- Not all pills fight all kinds of pests. Therefore, the ideal is to use the specific tablet for each pest or parasite.
- Take into account the adverse reactions that it can generate in animals with specific health conditions. For example, in diabetic dogs or with kidney problems, some can generate unfavorable reactions.
- The dose matters. Depending on whether or not you comply with this rule, you will avoid overdose and guarantee the effect on the pest.
- For lactating bitches it is necessary to consult the vet, as its effects are not usually positive.
Internal diseases transmitted by the flea
The bite of a flea not only involves alterations in the skin and coat of the animal. Well, these also transmit some parasites that affect the internal functioning of the body of dogs. Among the common pathologies that fleas can transmit are:
- Rickettsia infection that produces fever in the animal.
- Dipylidiosis, which causes intestinal problems and itching or anal pluritus in the dog.
- Hemoplasmosis, its symptoms are anemia, fever, allergy and loss of appetite.
- Bartonellosis infection that produces anemia, fever, gingivitis, among other symptoms.
The internal deworming in dogs it is a task that must sooner or later be carried out. The important thing in this is to do it properly and with the proper accompaniment of a pet expert.